Saturday 20 August 2011

Serious note.

I'm all for writing things down and writing will always be a part of me. Granted most of what I write is female clamor and hormone induced, but that doesn't mean I can't write serious topical pieces too.

I suppose this is the perfect opportunity to write something serious and prove the above statement, but the truth is I would rather snort Smarties than write about politics, the economical crisis or similar subjects.

Obviously having such a nonchalant view on "serious" topics hinders my ability as a journalist and encourages words such as "ditsy" and quite frankly I dread to think what else. Either way, my writing certainly doesn't promote hard-hitting news, paper shuffling and "..from all of us here in the studio, goodnight."

I've been asked a lot recently about the area of journalism I'm most interested in and without a shadow of a doubt the answer is- and will always be- "features." That's the one thing I remember most about journalism in my third year, my willingness to work until dawn on any features that I had to do or needed to be done.

In an ideal world I would become a columnist, but I need to find some strong opinion that doesn't relate solely to men. I wonder if there are courses on how to become mean and opinionated?

But that is all by-the-by and for the time being the column of Captain P**s Off (my newly appointed nickname from the uni girls after my flamboyant rage about the world of retail) is on pause. Its on pause until an employer takes me from a retail scream into a feature writers dream- check out the degree-level rhyming there!

No comments:

Post a Comment